23 June 2007

Apostrophes

Here are some tips about common errors in written English. The following examples are about using apostrophes ('). An apostrophe indicates either OWNERSHIP (belonging) or a CONTRACTION (left-out letters).

In the next two examples, notice the difference between YOU'RE and YOUR.
1. You're = YOU ARE (the apostrophe replaces the A):
You're a special person.
2. Your = belonging to you:
I like your new bicycle.

In the next two examples, notice the difference between THERE'S and THEIRS.
1. There's = (1) there is OR (2) there has:
(1) There's my friend Bob!
(2) There's been a lot of rain this morning.

2. Theirs = belonging to them:
My iPod is newer than theirs.

Now, notice how apostrophes indicate contractions in the following examples.

That's = (1) that is OR (2) that has:
(1) That's my latest Facebook entry.
(2) That's been my best footy tip this season.
Wouldn't = WOULD NOT:
I wouldn't want to do that again.
I'm = I am (the apostrophe replaces the I):
I'm as keen on donuts as Homer is!

No comments: